Can chewing gum keep your mouth healthy? According to many studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help strengthen your tooth enamel. The reason is due to an increase in saliva production, which can rinse away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to remember when including sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– According to many studies, sugarless gum can help protect your teeth against heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after meals instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be eroded by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning tricks such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– Sugarless gum helps whisk away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after meals.
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you experience any jaw aches or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
If you would like to have your teeth inspected by our team at Family & Implant Dentistry, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Josh Walker and our team in Manhattan, Kansas. To schedule a visit, please call us at 785-539-5949. We look forward to seeing you soon!